Root Canal Services
A root canal is a treatment used to repair and save a tooth that is badly decayed or becomes infected. During a root canal procedure, the nerve and pulp are removed and the inside of the tooth is cleaned and sealed. Without treatment, the tissue surrounding the tooth will become infected and abscesses may form and cause additional problems."Root Canal" is the term used to describe the natural cavity within the center of the tooth. The pulp or pulp chamber is the soft area within the root canal. The tooth's nerve lies within the root canal and, once a root canal is performed, is no longer absolutely necessary.The following examples are potential warnings that a root canal could be necessary. Keep in mind that there are occasions where there will be no symptoms present.
- Severe toothache pain upon chewing or application of pressure
- Prolonged sensitivity/pain to heat or cold temperatures (after the hot or cold has been removed)
- Discoloration (a darkening) of the tooth
- Swelling and tenderness in the nearby gums
- A persistent or recurring pimple on the gums
When a tooth's nerve tissue or pulp is damaged, it breaks down and bacteria will begin to multiply within the pulp chamber. The bacteria and other decayed debris can cause an infection or abscessed tooth. In addition to an abscess, an infection in the root canal of a tooth can cause the following complications:
- Swelling that may spread to other areas of the face, neck, or head
- Bone loss around the tip of the root
- Drainage problems extending outward from the root. A hole can occur through the side of the tooth with drainage into the gums or through the cheek with drainage into the skin.
Kell Dental Arts can potentially save your tooth and quickly relieve any pain and complications being experienced by a tooth needing a root canal. Call us today for a consultation!